Some musings on how my first ever Karazahn (and first ever) raid went.
I’ve never been into Karazahn, medications nor on a real raid before so I was a little bit nervous. There was that raid on Zul Gurub the other week, thumb but that was more like a kickabout in the park really. Overall, pfizer for me, it went fairly well. For the party – not so well, several times we wiped on trash when it could have been avoided, it’ll be a while before I forget seeing our tree appearing around a corner and running down the stairs pursued by a pack of unhappy dancers.
Attunmen: seemed pretty straight forwards, almost easy.
Moroes: I’m told we had a bit of bad luck here with the four adds (out of six possible) being
Baroness Dorothea Millstipe (Shadow Priest)
Lady Catriona Von?Indi (Holy Priest)
Baron Rafe Dreuger (Retribution Paladin)
Lord Robin Daris (Arms Warrior)
I know of one guide that lists the top two as first kills when dealing with adds, and it certainly took a few wipes to down the lot of them, the successful one was fairly impressive with only one or two players left standing.
We got Big Bad Wolf for Opera, so some good luck there. This was uncomplicated.
Maiden, wiped us badly the first time, the second time I pulled her while looking for bodies to ress and got single shotted, the third time she went down pretty reasonably.
I did feel that there’s a lot fewer trash than in a normal instance.
What went well
- Thanks to Too Many Annas raid consumables page I think I was well equipped on the pots and food buffs. During the run I used the mana food because I was getting low on mana a couple of times, a newbie problem.
- On the last and successful attempt at Moroes I dropped a Fire Elemental near the end, as it happens seconds before I died – I never knew that they lasted after death, but I had a wonderful view of the big orange beastie running up and down causing hurt wherever he went, the big bugger lasted quite some time before fading away. Lovely. Given how close this fight was I feel this was exactly the right thing to do.
- Didn’t get depressed at wiping – PuG’s are good for something then! (smiles)
Could have done better
Naturally this is a far more extensive list since it was my first time in.
- Get healbot to work the way I want it to. I tried to re-configure healbot to swap the mouse buttons for Chain Heal(CH) and Lesser Healing Wave(LHW) since I find the middle button difficult to press accurately. I don’t know what’s going on with it, but at one point both middle and left buttons were casting Chain Heal despite what the configuration was showing.
- Macro up a “stop casting and groundshock rank 1 on the focus” button so I can do interrupts as well as heal. If I’ve pressed the button it’s because I damn well want to interrupt someone, not to be told that I can’t do that right now. This is because we had a couple of healer adds at Moroes that made life more difficult than it really needed to be.
- Get a better idea of when Grounding Totem is useful, I was dropping Wrath of Air totem most of the time to boost the casters and healers efficiency. Plus 100 on heals is definitely nice, don’t get me wrong, but minus a few thousand on a damaging spell is even nicer.
- I wonder if dropping Earthbind totem would help in the “chase” phase of the Big Bad Wolf, we had two shaman so we could have seriously slowed the wolf down.
- Get a better idea of when to chug mana pots and the mana Tide totem. I was trying to restore my mana early on in the Moroes fight (at about 60-75%) so that the cooldowns on these items would be up before the end of the fight, unfortunately this meant when all my mana was removed by a spell I had nothing to fall back on leaving me healing on mp5. I suspect there’s nothing that can be done to stop this.
- I really need to use my trinkets more often, if I don’t use them I might as well not be wearing them, particularly “Heavenly Inspiration” which doesn’t do anything on equip.
- Interrupt my casting to drop a quick LHW on the “squishies”, they’re gone in like 5 seconds otherwise.
- make the Combat log pick up over a wider area.
- Don’t argue when the Lootmaster wants to give you something. What am I like!